Tis’ the season for family gatherings and holiday get togethers! I’ve been asked lately if I have any yummy, and not to mention easy, appetizer suggestions . Whether you’re hosting your own Christmas party or have been asked to bring a nibbly, here are a few of my favourites!
Specialty Cheese Platter
I hosted my own Wine and Cheese party in the summer for some friends and although the spread looks impressive, a cheese platter is one of the easiest things to put together for a crowd. Stop by a specialty cheese shop, like Benton Brothers in Kerrisdale (2104 West 41st Ave, Vancouver) and they’ll happily put together a platter for your event. Serve with accompaniments like cornichons, grainy mustard, dried fruit, grapes, honey and lots of bread and crackers!
Fruit Wrapped in Prosciutto
This combination is and oldie but a goody! For a last minute appy, purchase some thinly sliced prosciutto at your local deli. Cut apples, pears and melons into slices then wrap each piece with prosciutto. Voilà!
Spinach, Mushroom and Goat Cheese Tart
This recipe comes from Martha Stewart’s cookbook “EverydayFood”. It is so simple and delicious, we even have it as a main course on busy weeknights! Cut the tart into small squares when sharing with a group.
– Flour, for rolling out puff pastry
– 1 (from a 17.3-ounce package) sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to package instructions
– 1 medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
– 2 tablespoons olive oil
– Coarse salt and ground pepper
– 2 packages (10 ounces each) white mushrooms, trimmed and thinly sliced
– 1 packages (10 ounces) fresh baby spinach
– 2 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled